Conducting a census of population and housing is the national statistical office’s most comprehensive and expensive activity. The census provides a snapshot of a country and its population at a given point in time. In Antigua and Barbuda, this point in time is called Census Night. Almost every country in the world regularly conducts a census to collect important social and economic information about its inhabitants.
In Antigua and Barbuda, a census is taken every 10 years to produce comparable information at a fixed interval. The latest census was conducted by the Statistics Division in May 2011. The main objective of the 2011 Population and Housing Census (Census 2011) was to produce housing, demographic and social data that government, researchers, and regional and international stakeholders can use to develop effective policies, plans and programmes.
Results from Census 2011 updated and built on the Statistics Division’s already existing chronological series of data on the population’s size, composition, characteristics, income and on housing in the country―essential information for economic and social development.
Census results are used to make important decisions that affect individual Antiguans and Barbudans, their communities, and their country as a whole. These decisions include:
- Planning pensions, health care, housing, and employment programmes.
- Determining the location of services such as hospitals / health centres, police stations, roads, schools, daycare centres, public transportation and water.
- Prioritizing and allocating scarce resources.
- Assessing the country’s progress in achieving its Sustainable Development Goals.
- Providing a sampling frame for other surveys such as the Labour Force Survey.
In addition, by conducting a census, the country can show its commitment to developing infrastructure, a necessary indicator for obtaining assistance from development partners.
Population estimates and projections
- Population Projections by Age Group, Annual 1991-2026 (XLSX - 147 kb)
- Population Projection at Mid-Year Estimates 2011-2025 (XLSX - 21 kb
- Birth and Infant Mortality Rates 2001-2018 (XLSX - 13 kb)
- Live Births by Age of Mother 2007-2018 (XLSX - 13 kb)
- Total Births by Month 2006-2018 (XLSX - 15 kb)
- Total Births by Sex 2006-2018 (XLSX - 13 kb)
- Deaths by Sex and Death Rates 2000-2018 (XLSX - 13 kb)
- Deaths by Age Group 2008-2018 (XLSX - 14 kb)
- Life Expectancy at Birth 2000-2017 (XLSX - 13 kb)
- Census 2011 Book of Statistical Tables I (PDF - 7.64 mb)
- Census 2011 Preliminary Release (PDF - 390 kb)
- Population and Housing Census 2011 – A Demographic Profile (PDF - 5 mb)
- 2001 Census of Population and Housing (PDF - 3 mb)